How to care for your baby's skin to reduce the risk of irritation? When to see a doctor?
Dry skin in an infant from birth
Typically, peeling of the epidermis and dry skin of newborns is a physiological symptom that should not be particularly worried. It usually results from the fact that the toddler is born after the deadline, spends a little more time in his tummy.
The skin of a small child is more delicate, therefore it is naturally susceptible to drying. In addition, this process may deepen dry room air, air conditioning, heating. They dry during the summer sun rays, water from the pool, or swimming in the sea. However, you do not need to immediately use the baby from the pool to see that the skin dries quickly, enough daily baths, which together with dirt remove natural protective layers that provide the skin with optimal hydration. In addition, it is worth paying attention to used cosmetics, they also often have a negative effect on natural protective barriers.
Read if it is worth bathing the baby every day.
Dry skin in an infant and susceptibility to rashes
The baby's skin is prone to rashes. They often appear on its surface pimples, redness. Why? Mainly because the newborn is born with thin and delicate skin that needs time to strengthen, matures with it and strengthens its structure, over time it becomes thicker and more resistant to external factors. However, before this happens, it is very susceptible to damage.
The good news is that most children who have rashes in infancy grow out of it. However, it is worth taking care of it, which will make it easier for your skin to function in adverse conditions.
First aid for baby with dry skin
- shorten the bath to a maximum of 10 minutes,
- use bath soaps sparingly,
- if the child likes to sit in the bathtub, do not stay in soapy water,
- soap, if you have to, use at the end of the bath,
- pour emollients into the bath tub created for the care of dry skin,
- lower the water temperature so that the water is not too warm,
- after removing the baby from the bath, gently dry his skin with a soft towel, do not rub!
- apply the cream to your skin straight away without sparing it in quantity,
- if the skin is still dry, you can lubricate the baby twice a day - after bathing and once a day,
- if there is dry air in the house, use a humidifier,
- protect the skin from the sun,
- take care of optimal hydration during the day, providing sufficient fluid,
- pay attention to cosmetics used at home - bath lotions, washing powders, soaps and consider changing them to natural, hypoallergenic for each family member.
Dry infant skin may be a sign that predicts atopic dermatitis or eczema. Therefore, if the problem is large, it causes additional problems - skin redness, rash, itching, it is worth consulting a doctor for specialized help.