Small child

When a speech therapist meets other specialists ...

So much has been said lately about early, quick diagnosis and therapeutic intervention, about multidisciplinarity or interdisciplinarity, comprehensiveness, the need to coordinate the work of many specialists from various fields in a situation when something disturbing happens with a child. However, what I observe on my professional level is too late first speech therapy visits no longer tiny, but quite large patients, definitely too late ENT or psychological diagnoses, and thus delayed, long-term therapy that burden the child and parents. Why is this happening? Why do parents get to the right specialists so late, who they should be at sooner? What specialists and when should you consult? I will try to find answers to these difficult questions and share my reflections on the observed behavior of parents in this matter.

Early diagnosis and therapy as a chance for the proper development of the child!

Parent, but also specialist remember that immediate, specialist help and quick initiation of therapy by a small person are great chances for the child's proper development, which is why it is so important to make a reliable, accurate and early diagnosis! According to researchers, lasting over six months of fixing improper movement patterns resulting from malfunctioning of cells and nerve pathways reduces the effectiveness of rehabilitation. Even if a child starts therapy, some patterns will not be withdrawn - no one will undo them, regardless of the specialist's name, costs and efforts. Speech is now about six months, and it happens quite often that children go to specialists much later! Remember! The longer the child is not rehabilitated, the longer the erroneous, incorrect patterns are recorded and the more difficult it is to change the child's behavior or reactions later, which are already very well fixed, encoded!

Pediatrician - GP, but not a multispecialist!

Parents, if your child is cranky, lying down, has a runny nose, cough, has a sore throat, has an elevated body temperature, does not want to eat or drink anything, it is probably cold and it is worth consulting with a specialist in this matter most appropriate, i.e. with a doctor pediatrician. If you notice that your child has enlarged lymph nodes in the neck and behind the ears, increased body temperature and there is a small rash that starts from the face and spreads all over the body, it is probably a rubella and it is also worth going to a specialist, who do this, that is, to the pediatrician. A pediatrician is a specialist who deals generally with DISEASES that meet children, and not all problems, ailments of childhood !!! He is usually very well trained to make the first general diagnoses enabling him to send a child with a specific problem to a specific specialist. Remember that, parents!

When do you need to see an allergist?

In turn, when you notice that your child has dry skin, on which various changes begin to appear, it happens that the toddler has a runny nose, doggie, has red eyes, you have the impression that he tolerates some foods badly and after eating them appears after them a rash, go not to a pediatrician, but to a doctor who specializes in it - a child allergist. Allergist is a doctor who deals with allergic problems, including allergies.

Enlarged tonsils - task for ENT specialist

Snoring, sore throat, baby's mouth breathing, soaking the pillow during sleep, hearing problems, nasal speech are probably signs of an enlarged third tonsil. Here, too, no pediatrician assistance is needed, because he does not specialize in diseases of the throat, nose, ears. A visit to the pediatric otolaryngologist is needed, who most often with such symptoms directs the child to adenotomy, that is, the removal of an overgrown tonsil.

Meeting with a physiotherapist - an important thing!

Looking at your toddler, you can see that he does not like to lie on his tummy, does not raise his head, his head "flies" to one side, does not keep his head in the midline, does not fall from his back to his stomach and vice versa, does not crawl sits or sits with his feet back in the letter "W" (please, don't believe in the miracles "just put the left shoe on the right and the right shoe on the left and the foot valgus will disappear!") contact a physiotherapist, physiotherapist as soon as possible. If the physiotherapist diagnoses your child's strong body asymmetry and proposes therapy, it is also worth going to a speech therapist, because if the child has body asymmetry, there is probably also a large asymmetry within the mouth-face complex. I recommend a visit to a physiotherapist while still pregnant - some good birth schools invite physiotherapists to workshops for future parents, who show, for example, how to care for the proper development of e.g. pelvis, hips, spine during daily care of the toddler; how to properly lift, lay, undress, rewind - it's worth using such a consultation!

A speech therapist is needed immediately

Parents, if your child cannot suck, is six months old and not babbling, he is over a year old, he does not understand and does not follow simple instructions, he does not speak or speaks little, reluctantly, indistinctly, it is understandable only by loved ones, you can observe irregularities in biting , chewing and swallowing, the child puts the tongue between the teeth or has a bit under the tongue, instead of "kitty" says "totet", "lak" or "how" instead of "cancer" instead of a pediatrician, go to a speech therapist as soon as possible, or speech therapist. If your child stutters, consult a balutologist, speech therapist, who specializes in the therapy of people who stutter.

The psychologist doesn't bite!

If you are wondering what to do and what not to do to properly stimulate and support the development of your child, you have doubts about setting boundaries, discipline, rewards and punishments, your child behaves differently than most of his peers, e.g. is aggressive, hysterical, have tantrums, don't listen to you, don't want to go to kindergarten, school, truant, don't want to eat, soak at night, have various fears, etc. etc. Go to a specialist in this field, i.e. a psychologist.

When discussing the topic of problems with children's behavior and psyche, it is also worth remembering that happy and happy parents are happy and happy children. That is why, instead of focusing solely on the child's problems and solving them, sometimes it is worth asking yourself some questions honestly.

  • Is something unpleasant, bad happening in your life, you demand a lot from yourself all the time, you almost get eyelash to "please" everyone, you work professionally, you drive and bring children from kindergarten and school, play with them, do homework and you still spend a lot of time cleaning the house, cooking dinners, washing, ironing, tending the garden, but you still feel that it is not good at all?
  • Do you have problems at work: too many responsibilities that you don't do, stay after hours, quarrel with your supervisor or lose your job at all and worry about what will happen next?
  • Maybe you can't communicate with your parents, relatives, who, for example, think that you devote too little time to your family and work too much, or have a grudge that, for example, you allow your children too much?
  • Perhaps you are experiencing difficult moments in your marriage, relationship: you have the impression that something has burned out between you, you are thinking about separation, divorce, you do not know what will happen with you, how to solve this crisis, because you have children, common loans e.t.c.?

If you read these questions and thought "Yes, then I, I have the same" - contact a psychologist as soon as possible who will show you how to deal with difficult situations, together with you will work out the best solution for you.

It is worth realizing that a lot of problems that supposedly children have are really your problems, Dear Parents, which you unknowingly pass on to your children, or which they simply feel and react to in a way appropriate for children ( e.g. soaking, stuttering, aggression ...). It is impossible to hide from children that everything is fine when it is not.
Children are better observers of family life than some think. That is why it is worth considering ten times where the problems of children lie, where their causes lie, and really with whom, with whose problems you need to go to a psychologist.

Are you sure, for example Kuba I don't want to go to schoolbecause he doesn't want to learn for the exam and beats children because he is aggressive by nature and why should you go to a school psychologist with a boy? Or maybe Kuba does not want to go to school, does not learn and explodes with aggression, because from time to time he witnesses a quarrel or "quiet days" of his parents who, for example, divorce and bargain children?

Is annual Ola does not eat, because she has a very strongly developed bite reflex and can't chew, or maybe because her parents feed her irregularly, in the wrong position, because lying down, with bad, often changing equipment, forcing food into her? Who really has the problem?

The most important, dear parents, is not looking for the guilty, but finding a good solution to your situation. Admitting to yourself that something is wrong, because the child, for example, is not eating. Admitting also that the parent does not know everything, although he cares and loves his child immensely, and understanding that the pediatrician does not know everything, because he is not a specialist in everything, because such "specialists in everything" just not no!

I meet parents who, for example, are away from home for days, and grandparents or nannies take care of the children, work a lot, and thus have a lot of professional dutiesthat they also bring home and which they have to spend a lot of time at home. Within a week pass each other with their children, because when they get up in the morning, they already see their grandmother or nanny, when they fall asleep, parents quietly return. At the weekend, parents can't get along with their children, they really don't know much about them, and suddenly it turns out that Kasia, who was once a Friday student, now has learning problems, doesn't focus attention, doesn't do homework, loses weight, rarely eats sandwiches at school. She says that she dislikes most things and doesn't feel like it, while her younger brother Kacper, who goes to kindergarten also hardly eats, on the balance sheet of the three-year-old it turned out that he gained little weight, smiles little, says little, but a lot she cries, avoids playing with children, more often sits on her lap at one of the teachers. What do parents do most often in such and similar situations? They pack their children into the car and go to a pediatrician, of course! And what does a pediatrician do? Sends children for tests, or to other doctors. And parents run from doctor to doctor, from the treatment room, they do various blood and urine tests, tests, x-rays, ultrasound and everything they can. It often turns out that the results are exemplary, even sensational - one would think that only to enjoy. Only somehow the problem reported at the beginning did not go away. And hardly any parent at this time wonders that you need to seek help from another specialist, that a pediatrician or other doctor did what they could do, i.e. they excluded the organic, physiological basis of the reported problems. The role of doctors is over, because the results are wonderful and you should look for help somewhere else. But where?

Few doctors refer parents to a psychologist, pedagogue or speech therapist. Unfortunately. And usually the search for parents ends here. If the research came out okay, that's okay. And that the child does not eat, has diarrhea or constipation, gets wet at night, does not focus attention, does not understand what to say to him, also does not speak and generally "lives his own inner life" ... apparently it is (maybe after grandfather maybe after grandmother?).

Pediatricians also very often in such situations simply they calm parents, make them wait, say that it is temporary, temporary, that it will pass by itself, will pass or that children will grow out of it and parents stick to it because the doctor told them, and they believe immensely, trust the doctors. They trust one group of specialists arbitrarily chosen by them, forgetting about other professions, forgetting that there are no "people from everything", that not only doctors are being educated all over the world, but also for some purpose educators, psychologists, speech therapists ..., that they later often choose and specialize in even narrower areas tailored to specific groups of problems, devoting their time, entire professional life, and often personal to help you and your children in the most efficient way.

Parents, remember - with pneumonia we go to the doctor, with problems with speech to a speech therapist, with a psyche to a psychologist, with a hole in the tooth of a dentist, with a flat tire in the car we go to a vulcanizer, and we usually go where to get bread? To the baker. It is obvious. Is any of these professions better or worse? No. These are different professions, and the professionals who perform them are specialists in their profession, and although they differ in earnings, social prestige, they are all needed and deserve the same recognition.

Also the greatest specialists use the services of other specialists, because it is unlikely that even the best dentist does root canal treatment or treats pneumonia, the speech therapist lists as quickly and efficiently as a tire vulcanizer, and the pediatrician performs an accurate diagnosis of cognitive functions and conducts adequate psychological therapy. There is a specialist for every problem. Unfortunately, almost every day I meet with various attitudes of parents regarding the acceptance of some specialists, and ignoring others - admittedly, "children's problems" and lists of specialists change (instead of a pediatrician, for example, a kindergarten teacher, pedagogue, teacher, priest, psychologist, speech therapist - indifferent), in which the parent "believes" and in which "does not believe", but the mechanism of glorifying some and automatic depreciation and exclusion of others is similar ... unfortunately the beloved child suffers the most.

A good specialist is also the one who can admit that the problem goes beyond its field, indicates a specialist appropriate for a given problem and resigns from further treatment in this area, which for the patient's sake resigns from "improvising" and his earnings. A good specialist does not enter the field of other specialists - at least for ethical reasons: "Primum non nocere" ("First, do no harm") - but works with them for the patient's benefit. A pediatrician cannot do speech therapy because he has no competence for that! Just like a speech therapist, he doesn't write cough medicine on prescriptions.

Dear Parents, above I have presented very short, only demonstrative presentations of the scope of problems solved by specific specialists, as well as more or less convincing examples of you or your reflections to better illustrate what I really wanted to write about and which is very important for you, your children and their lives. What I wanted to tell you was a simple message:

If you have any doubts about the health or development of your children - go to the right specialist (!) As soon as possible.

It is worth realizing that in addition to the pediatrician, or in fact the general GP of your child, or another specialist whom you love, admire, you are extremely grateful to him for everything he does for your child and for you, there are other specialists who are professionals , professionals in their field are able and willing to help you. The psychologist does not bite, the speech therapist only occasionally teaches to bite (but the bite educator later unleashes) - sometimes it is also worth to seek their advice when we know that the problem does not apply to three days, smallpox or flu. Prevention is better than cure, and when you cure, there are actual, existing ailments with the right specialists and the right means.